Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!


Red, White and Blue! We have the most amazing local cherries and we've been eating pounds of them a week! I was in heaven yesterday at the 75% off sale at Sur La Table and I found my newest kitchen gadget.....A hand held cherry pitter!! How I ever got along without one is crazy! I thought a cherry tart would be a great end to our family BBQ. It's not too sweet or too heavy. I made a pastry crust of GF flour, salt, xanthan gum, shortening and ice water. I think I'll leave the xanthan gum out next time, as the crust was a little too firm for my taste. I used half the normal amount of sugar in the cherries and used a bit of cornstarch as a thickener. The vanilla cinnamon cream is a mixture of vegan vanilla yogurt (soy or coconut), vegan cream cheese and a bit of cinnamon. Topped off with some blueberries from our garden, it looks very patriotic!

No comments:

Post a Comment